Route 66 Times header image
Home > MO > St. James >

Johnnie's Bar

225 N. Jefferson, St. James, MO

East < GO > West

Johnnie's Bar started life in 1928 as the Commercial Cafe (AKA Rose Cafe) owned by John and Mable Rose. By sometime the 1940s it was Snell's Cafe and in the early 50s was Mary's Cafe. It was also a Greyhound Bus stop in the 1940s and 50s.

John Bullock began renting the building in the early 60's and converted the place into a bar called Johnnie's. He eventually buying the property in the 1980s. It is now run run by his son.

This is the only original late 1920s building left standing at this intersection.

Check out the large marquee style neon Stag Beer sign outside. In addition to the Stag sign the building has been significantly modified. It looks like most if not all of the doors and windows have been moved or otherwise changed.

Photo(s): 2016



x About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
xDid You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned lanes are still there.